The Warlock Strand Broodweaver and Necrotic Grip are a great combination for a very fun and effective build in Destiny 2 right now. Warlocks now have the most range on a melee they’ve had ever, and combined with the poison effects of Necrotic Grip and the other supporting abilities of the Broodweaver subclass, you will be clearing ads and melting bosses and mini-bosses in no time at all. Today I’m going to go through the build, the aspects, fragments, weapons, armor and mods, and walk you through how to put together this Warlock Strand build, which is going to improve the way you play in Destiny 2.
Before we get into the build, let’s have a quick look at some gameplay with the build, and then we’ll dive in to how it’s put together. The key to the build is the combination of the Warlock Broodweaver and Necrotic Grip, which is going to spread poison, unravel enemies, allow us to throw tangles, and decimate enemies with our weapons. This is the most fun I’ve had with Strand so far, and now we have access to all the aspects and fragments, some builds are starting to emerge as top contenders, and this is one of them.
Without further delay, let’s dive right into the build.
Subclass – Strand
Super – Needlestorm. Conjure a hail of deadly woven needles. After embedding themselves in the environment, the needles will re-weave into a host of Threadlings. Threadlings you create will return to you and perch if they can’t find any nearby targets. Damaging targets with your weapons or melee will send out perched Threadlings to attack.
Class – Healing Rift
Melee – Arcane Needle. Sling a woven needle that will embed in your target, unraveling them. Activate your melee ability again to chain up to two additional attacks.
Grenade – Shackle Grenade. A thrown weapon of weighted Strand matter that detonates on impact, suspending targets and creating additional suspending subprojectiles.
- Weavers Call – Cast your Rift to weave three Threadlings and deploy any Threadlings you have perched. Your call weaves a path into existence. A chirp rings out, eager to answer.
- Mindspun Invocation – Our grapple, Shackle Grenade, and Threadling Grenade have enhanced functionality. Hold to consume your Shackle Grenade and activate Weaver’s Trance. Final blows while Weaver’s Trance is active create a suspending detonation.
- Thread of Fury – Damaging targets with a Tangle grants melee energy.
- Thread of Warding – Picking up an Orb of Power grants Woven Mail.
- Thread of Mind – Defeating suspended targets grants class ability energy.
- Thread of Generation – Dealing damage generates grenade energy.
Exotic Armor – Necrotic Grip
Necrotic Grip is Exotic Warlock Gauntlets that come with the perk Grasp of the Devourer.
Grasp of the Devourer – Damaging combatants envenoms them with poison that deals increasing damage over time. Defeating a poisoned combatant spreads the condition to nearby targets.
These are very powerful gloves for a Warlock, but even more powerful when combined with the ranged melee of a Broodweaver Warlock.
Kinetic – Synchronic Roulette
Synchronic Roulette is a Legendary Kinetic Submachine Gun with a Precision Frame meaning the this weapon’s recoil pattern is more predictably vertical. This one comes with the origin trait Nanotech Tracer Rockets, where landing multiple hits turns your next shot into a homing micro-missle. This one is also a Strand Legendary weapon, so works well with the build.
Energy – Tarnished Mettle
The energy slot is really up to you. I’m using a scout rifle because it helps me take out certain champions this season, but if you can find something better here then use that.
Tarnished Mettle is a Legendary Energy Scout Rifle with a Lightweight Framemeaning it has superb handling. Move faster with this weapon equipped. This comes with the Origin Trait Right Hook, where dealing melee damage gives the weapon increased target acquisition and range for a short period of time. Dealing melee damage again extends the effect.
Power – Anarchy
Anarchy is an exotic, power grenade launcher that features Arc Traps. These are grenades that stick to surfaces and chain arc bolts to other mines. It’s great for DPS and will help you take down dungeon and raid bosses in no time at all, so it’s definitely a good one to pick up. Get this from the Monuments to Lost Lights.
- Resilience – Get that resilience up to 100 to help your survivability
- Siphon mods – These are used to create orbs, which are the basis of builds now since the Lightfall update. I’m using kinetic and arc siphon mods here, although you can match to your weapon damage output.
- Grenade kickstart – When your grenade energy is fully expended, you gain grenade energy. Additionally, your Armor Charge is consumed and you gain additional grenade energy for each stack. This is going to help us get fast grenade energy, plus I am using multiple copies of this one.
- Heavy handed – Powered Melee final blows create orbs. Given we have 3 charges as a warlock, this is going to be very good.
- Charged Up – Increases the maximum number of stacks of armor charge you can carry by 1.
- Font of Endurance – You gain a bonus to resilience while you have any Armor Charge. Your Armor Charge now decays over time. This improves our survivability.
- Innvervation – Reduces grenade cooldown when you pick up an orb.
- Strand weapon surge – Your Strand weapons gain a small bonus to damage while you have any Armor Charge. Your Armor Charge now decays over time.
- Stacks on Stacks – Picking up an orb grants you 1 additional stack of armor charge
- Outreach – Reduces Melee cooldown when using your class ability
- Time Dilation – Decaying armor charge has a longer duration
The key to the build is the combination of Strand and Necrotic Grip. Necrotic Grip gives us that poison explosion with damage over time, then this is combined with the Arcane Needle melee, which gives you a huge amount of range.
Our melee attack is going to unravel them, so when they die they will lave behind a tangle, which can be picked up and thrown at enemies. Given we’re using Thread of Fury, this is then goign to restore melee energy. I’m using the shackle grenade, which is mainly consumed to activate Weaver’s Trance. When we get final blows with Weaver’s Trace active creates a suspending detonation, then through Thread of Mind, defeating suspended enemies grants class ability energy.
We can get a nice gameplay loop going by laying down our rift, consuming the grenade, and then attacking with a ranged melee. This is going to cause enemies to explode, unravel and decay over time with poison effects. Then throw in weapons like Anarchy to the mix, and you add that tick damage, plus benefitting from the grenade launcher buff.
The mod systems has changed dramatically, but essentially this works off Orbs. Therefore we want to generate orbs to allow us to pick up armor charges, and then use those armor charges via other mods to give ourselves benefits. In this build the focus is increasing damage through Strand Weapon Surge, and increasing survivability through Font of Endurance. Strand Warlocks aren’t the best when it comes to surviving, which is why we’re boosting the resilience here.
Let me know in the comments what you think, plus if you have any improvements to the build.