The Dawning 2021 is here, and it’s time to spread the holiday cheer around the world of Destiny 2. Today I am going to go through The Dawning 2021 Guide which includes how to get ingredients, all vendor recipes, how to farm the essence of dawning and a look at all the Dawning Loot.
Eva Levante is back in the Tower, which can only mean one thing, it’s a seasonal event in Destiny 2. This time, it’s the Dawning and this one is here from 14th December 2021 until 4th January 2022. Space Grandma is back and she has her holiday oven to share with us.
The event is free for all players, and we have some great loot, which includes a great new Legendary Sword, plus also The Glasioclasm returns, one of the best Fusion Rifles in the game.
How The Dawning 2021 works
The objective of The Dawning is to bake cookies and treats for all the NPCs and vendors in the Destiny solar system. Eva Levante gives us a Holiday Oven and we have to collect various ingredients by either killing certain enemies or using certain weapons. We get the ingredients to drop, then combine them in our Holiday Oven with Essence of Dawning to bake a cookie. Then we deliver it and we’re done.
There’s a couple of quests to kick off The Dawning 2021. We have The Dawning Begins, which is our intro quest where we bake a holiday cookie for Zavala and pick up our holiday oven from Eva Levante. This year we have a new addition called The Pidgeon Provides, which includes The Fallen getting in on the festivities. At the end of this quest you’ll get the Zephyr Sword.
Run through these quests and you’ll get the jist of The Dawning, it’s all about going out there, killing enemies to collect ingredients, combining the ingredients in the holiday oven and then delivering gifts to various vendors. The more gifts you deliver the more loot you are going to get.
In regards to the loot we have 4 weapons; The Avalanche (Machine Gun), Cold Front (Submachine Gun), Glasioclasm (Fusion Rifle) and the new / returning weapon, Zephyr (Stasis Sword).
Let’s have a look at the ingredients we can get.
There’s a couple of types of ingredient types – you have your common and rare ingredients.
- Balanced Flavors Kill enemies with scout Rifles, sniper Rifles, pulse rifles, and combat bows
- Bullet Spray Kill enemies with submachine guns, auto rifles and machine guns
- Cabal Oil Kill Cabal enemies
- Chitin Powder Kill Hive enemies
- Dark Ether Cane Kill Scorn enemies
- Dark Frosting Kill enemies with Stasis weapons or abilities
- Delicious Explosion Kill enemies with grenades, rocket launchers and grenade launchers
- Electric Flavor Kill enemies with Arc weapons or abilities
- Ether Cane Kill Fallen enemies
- Finishing Touch Kill enemies with finishers
- Flash of Inspiration Generate orbs of power
- Impossible Heat Kill enemies with Solar weapons or abilities
- Multifaceted Flavors Multikills
- Null Taste Kill enemies with Void weapons or abilities
- Perfect Taste Kill enemies with precision damage
- Personal Touch Kill enemies with melee
- Pinch of Light Collect orbs of power
- Sharp Flavor Kill enemies with swords
- Superb Texture Kill enemies with supers
- Taken Butter Kill Taken enemies
- Vex Milk Kill Vex enemies
Once you have the ingredients, you’ll want to combine them in your oven to create cookies, which you can then deliver to vendors in exchange for loot, which is the basic gameplay loop of the Dawning.
- Ada-1 Hot Crossfire Buns Ether Cane + Balanced Flavors
- Amanda Holliday Chocolate Ship Cookies Cabal Oil + Null Taste
- Banshee-44 Telemetry Tapioca Vex Milk + Bullet Spray
- Crow Bittersweet Biscotti Dark Ether Cane + Balanced Flavors
- Devrim Kay Gentleman’s Shortbread Ether Cane + Perfect Taste
- Drifter Dark Chocolate Motes Taken Butter + Null Taste
- Eris Morn Ascendant Oatmeal Raisin Cookies Chitin Powder + Finishing Touch
- Eva Levante Classic Butter Cookies Taken Butter + Superb Texture
- Exo Stranger Starwort Thins Dark Frosting + Dark Ether Cane
- Failsafe Infinite Forest Cake Vex Milk + Impossible Heat
- Hawthorne Eliksni Birdseed Ether Cane + Personal Touch
- Ikora Rey Traveler Donut Holes Cabal Oil + Flash of Inspiration
- Lord Shaxx Vanilla Blades Cabal Oil + Sharp Flavor
- Mara Sov Ascendant Apple Tart Taken Butter + Sharp Flavor
- Petra Venj Ill-Fortune Cookies Dark Ether Cane + Impossible Heat
- Saint-14 Lavender Ribbon Cookies Vex Milk + Personal Touch
- Shawn Han Blueberry Crumblers Ether Cane + Bullet Spray
- Tess Everis Bright-Dusted Snowballs Chitin Powder + Multifaceted Flavors
- Variks Etheric Coldsnaps Chitin Powder + Electric Flavor
- Xur Strange Cookies Taken Butter + Electric Flavor
- Zavala Gjallardoodles Ether Cane + Delicious Explosion
You will also need another ingredient for baking cookies, and that’s Essence of Dawning. Here’s a few fast ways to get Essence of Dawning.
How to farm for Essence of Dawning
For each cookie or treat you want to bake it’s going to take 15 Essence of Dawning. This can be acquired through pretty much any activity like Strikes, Crucible and Gambit.
Let’s have a look at the amount of Essence of Dawning you get from activities around the solar system.
Sources of Essence of Dawning
Legendary Lost Sectors 15-17
Wrathborn Hunts 10-15
Crucible Matches 10-15
Public Events 5
Here’s some farming methods for Essence of Dawning
Farming Method 1 – Expunge Tarturus (Solo)
This first method is good for solo players. Expunge Tarturus can be found on Europa and was an activity in Season of the Splicer. Most of the Expunge mission itself can be skipped, so it’s a race to the boss and then try and kill him as quickly as possible, and then simply repeat the process.
When you start you want to race forward and make your way through the jumping puzzle, being careful not to fall off and die or get hit by the laser barriers. Make your way to the end and jump through the portal.
When you get into the Vex network, make sure you trigger the first node, otherwise, the man cannon won’t be enabled, and will make this slower. Jump over the area, again being careful not to die, and then use the man cannon to get to the next area. Jump up to the pillar and then jump onto the glowing square orb. You’ll want to use this to run and jump over the barrier to the next zone, without having to complete it normally.
When you have jumped over this part, then just race to the end where you will meet the boss. Melt the boss as fast as you can with a combination of heavy weapons and your super and kill any of the vex that get in your way.
It should be doable to complete this in under 5 mins, nearer 3 mins if you get into a good rhythm. You will be rewarded with 300+ candy and at least 5 Spectral pages. You can repeat this process as many times as you need.
Farming Method 2 – Wrathborn Hunts (Fireteams)
The next method is for Fireteams, as you’ll need one fireteam member with the Wrathborn Hunt Lure who doesn’t do damage to the boss, and then you’ll need at least one other who can kill the Wrathborn on the hunt.
What you want to do here is load up the Wrathborn hunt with a Lure for Savek, he can be found on the Tangled Shore. Load up the Cryptolith Lure with the Prey Mod: Savek ad then add the other mods you want to add, it doesn’t really matter.
Once you have your fireteam, head down to the Tangled Shore and complete the first part of the Wrathborn Hunt as normal, damaging the boss to get his energy down to nearly 0. The servitor will then go on the run, and you’ll want to chase after it. Find your way to the Hunt Lure and then start the activity.
When you load into the activity by selecting ‘Continue Hunt’, the Guardian with the Lure will want to hang back and not to any damage to the boss. By not doing any damage to the boss you get to keep the Lure, allowing you to easily repeat the activity over and over. The Guardian with the Lure can hang back in the Spawn, or watch as their fireteam members kill the Wrathborn boss, and for completion, you’ll get 300+ candy and 5 Spectral Pages.
After the Wrathborn is killed, you can repeat the second part of the encounter over and over. You’ll be taken back to the Tangled Shore, then find the Hunt Lure again and start the activity. Repeat the process with your fireteam member killing the boss, and you’ll get more Essence of Dawning.
This process takes approx 2.5 mins to complete.
There’s also a good method of farming in the Shattered Throne. CHeese Forever put together a good video on that, so I’ll link that below.
If you have the ship from last year, Starfarer 7M, then you can put that on for more Essence of Dawning bonuses, which are really going to stack up.
For free to play players you can run Strikes, Crucible or Gambit. Dares of Eternity is a good source too. If you can get a good team together then Gambit is probably your best bet in terms of fast and efficient farming for Essence of Dawning.
Once you have baked the goods deliver them to the NPC.
How to masterwork the Holiday Oven
One of the first things you are going to want to do is masterwork the oven. This is going to reduce the overall cost of the Essence of Dawning from 15 each cookie to 10. This reduces the cost dramatically, and is going to help you over the course of the event. To masterwork the oven you’ll want to create one of every treat. Once you have done that you’ll be able to reduce the cost of each cookie, and therefore get more loot.
Talking of the loot, let’s have a look.
Dawning 2021 Loot
This is the new weapon for the Dawning 2021. Zephyr is a Legendary Power Sword with an Adaptive Frame. Launch a heavy uppercut attack. Heavy attacks are stronger with full energy. For PVE Relentless Strikes and Cold Steel / Whirlwind Blade would be good. For PVP Thresh and Assassin’s Blade would be a decent roll. To get this one you have to complete the quest called The Pidgeon Provides.
Glacioclasm (Fusion Rifle)
Glacioclasm is a Legendary Energy Fusion Rifle that delivers void damage. It’s a High-Impact Frame meaning it’s Slow-firing and has high-damage. This weapon is more accurate when stationary and aiming down sights. For PVP Killing Wind and Unrelenting would be good, whereas Ambitious Assassin and Demolitionist would be good for PVE. To get this weapon it’s a random drop from opening up packages from vendors during the Dawning event.
Cold Front (Submachine Gun)
Cold Front is a Legendary Kinetic Submachine Gun which is an Aggressive Frame meaning high damage, high recoil. For PVP Dynamic Sway Reduction and Thresh would be a decent roll and for PVE Surplus and Dragonfly would be good. To get this weapon it’s a random drop from opening up packages from vendors during the Dawning event.
Avalanche (Machine Gun)
Avalanche is a Legendary Power Machine Gun which is an Adaptive Frame meaning it has a well-rounded grip, reliable and sturdy and it deals Solar damage. For PVP Zen Moment and Tap the Trigger would be good and for PVE Autoloading Holster and Dragonfly would be a decent roll.
To get this one it’s a random drop during the Dawning or from packages throughout the main questline where you are baking cookies for all the NPCs.
Let me know what you think of the Dawning 2021.
That’s it for this guide for how the Dawning 2021 Works in Destiny 2. For more Destiny 2 content like this check out This Week In Video Games on YouTube and subscribe today.