Outriders is finally here and the wait is over. The only thing to do now is to pick your class and jump into the game. But what type of Outrider do you want to be? Do you want to get up close and personal with enemies, light them on fire, teleport out of harm’s way or control the battlefield from afar? Well, Outriders has a class for all of those things and today I am going to go through each class and give you all the info you need to help you make your decision.
Let’s dive into each class, I’ll give you some details and also some pros and cons for each class. I’m going to pick out a few starter skills for each Outrider class too, just to give you a flavour of what each one is like.
Before we get into it, let me know down in the comments which class you’re going to pick (or have done already) and let me know why you chose them.
This class plays really well at mid-range, though by selecting and equipping the correct skills and upgrades, you can tailor it to be quite effective at close range too. It’s a good choice for anyone who likes to deal with multiple people at once. The more enemies you fight, the better it is for you – so it’s a great class to choose if you want to be able to deal effectively with big crowds.
Melee – Deal damage and inflict Burn to all enemies within a small radius.
Healing Mechanic – You will recover Health whenever enemies marked by your skills are killed.
- Receive additional 10% Anomaly Power.
- Skills Mark damaged enemies for 15 seconds. Killing a Marked heals you by 24% of your maximum Health.
- Heatwave: Type: IGNITE. Summon a fiery wave that deals damage and inflicts Burn to all enemies in its path.
- Feed the Flames: Type: IMMOBILIZE. Pull an enemy toward you, dealing damage, draining Health, and inflicting Ash.
- Thermal Bomb: Type: EXPLOSIVE, INTERRUPT. Select an enemy to Burn, Interrupt and deal damage to. If killed while still afflicted by the skill, the enemy will explode, dealing damage in a large radius.
- Ash Breaker – This is focused on bonuses that help you deal damage to marked enemies. Here you can kill faster and heal more often.
- Fire Storm – This is focused on skill damage, anomaly power and burn damage.
- Tempest – This is the path you want to go down if you’re a tank. Here skills will help your survive in battle through increasing health and reducing imcoming damage
- Good for dealing with multiple enemies
- Thermal bomb is VERY satisfying
- Additional 10% anomaly power is useful
- Doesn’t quite have the movement speed of the Trickster
- Felt a bit weaker than other classes to me
Devastator’s are close range classes with skills and abilities that allow you to soak up a bunch of damage before giving it back with interest. As a Devastator you can help your team by rushing in and soaking up some of the bullets for your team, allowing other Outriders to support from medium to long-range.
Get in there up close and personal with enemies. A decent tactic with the Devastator is to weaken enemies, so when you need a health boost you can quickly pick them off one by one to regen some much-needed health. Careful for enemies who come in close and try to melee back, as this is one of the weaknesses of the Devastator class.
Melee Skill – Deal damage and inflict Bleed to all enemies within a small radius. Your melee ability will cause the ground to shake as you inflict bleed on your unfortunate foes. Bleed deals damage over time to moving foes afflicted by it.
Healing Mechanic – You will recover Health from slain enemies that stood too close. You get 24% of your health back for every close-range kill you get. Shotguns and submachine guns, anything that’s suited to close range is really going to help you in the midst of the battle. You can run in there, get close range kills and keep getting health back as long as you’re picking off enemies at close range.
- Receive additional 15% maximum Health.
- Increase Armor by 30%.
- Every close range kill heals you by 24% of your maximum Health.
- Earthquake: Type: SEISMIC, INTERRUPT. Release a shockwave to deal damage and Interrupt all enemies in front of you.
- Golem: Type: PROTECTION. Fortify yourself against 65% of incoming damage for 8 seconds.
- Gravity Leap: Type: KINETIC, INTERRUPT. Leap into the air and strike your targets from above, dealing damage and Interrupting enemies within a small radius of the area you land in.
- Vanquisher – This is for those who really want to run in there and get close range kills. Shotguns and Assault Rifles are best for this.
- Warden – This is for those who want to survive as long as possible with the focus on shields, health and elemental resistance.
- Seismic Shifter – This is all about damage over time and allows for more medium range play with the Devastator. This boosts ability damage and allows you to be more effective with skills.
- Durable, able to get in up close and personal
- Good team player, sucking up the damage for the team
- Great extra health by default
- Always the first one in means not much time for a breather
Trickster is a close-range class that’s fast and can easily hit & run targets. Trickster’s can use their abilities to slow down and paralyse enemies and even teleport behind their foes and infuse ammo with the powers of the Anomaly. Trickster’s have been designed like a typical Rogue class so they can get in and up close to their opponents, deal huge damage and then get out back to safety. One skill trees do take them down a tanky style of gameplay, but as well as that they do have the option to interrupt enemies with their abilities, slowing things down for teammates and allowing fellow Outriders to control the battlefield.
Melee Skill – Deal damage and inflict Slow to all enemies within a small radius. The Melee Skill does not require a skill slot nor any Class Points. Sprinting (vs standing) before using the Melee Skill changes to a ground-slam that appears to have a larger area-of-effect but also has a longer cooldown. The base cooldown is 1 second (sprinting Melee Skill 2 seconds); however, each subsequent uses of the Melee Skill increases its cooldown-even in between abilities and weapon fire.
Healing Mechanic – Each enemy killed in close range heals you and grants a portion of Shield.
Temporal Blade: Type: DAMAGE, INTERRUPT. Paralyze and slice enemies in front of you, dealing damage and inflicting Slow and Interrupt to all targets.
Slow Trap: Type: DECEPTION. Create a spacetime Anomaly that inflicts Slow onto enemies and projectiles for 10 seconds.
Hunt the Prey: Type: MOVEMENT. Select an enemy and teleport behind them and receive a shield bonus.
Twisted Rounds: Type: DAMAGE. Fill your weapon’s magazine with Anomaly-infused bullets that deal significantly more damage to enemies. The skill lasts until you reload or switch weapons.
- Receive additional 5% maximum Health.
- Active Shield grants 5% damage mitigation.
- Every close range kill heals you by 20% of your maximum Health and grants you 12% Shield.
- The Assassin focused on boosting your weapon damage and increases crit damage.
- The Harbinger feels slightly more like a tank as your health and shield regeneration is priority.
- The Reaver focuses on increasing Anomaly power and buffs abilities like Resistence Piercing, Weakness and Skill Leech
- Great movement speed
- Variety of skills that are effective as weapons or controlling the battlefield
The Technomancer is all about support and hanging back from the battlefield. Whereas the Devastator can run into battle covered in rock and pyromancers can set the battlefield on fire Technomancers employ tools and technology to help their Outriders squad. The Technomancer class is proficient in technology and is the only class that can heal fellow teammates.
Healing isn’t the only thing Technomancers can do, they are also very good at range and controlling the battlefield from a distance. If you’re into running as a support class and you like little gadjets then perhaps the Technomancer is the class for you.
The Technomancer is a long-range support specialist that possesses the best healing abilities of all four classes. It also utilizes a wide range of deadly contraptions.
Melee Skill – Deal damage and inflict Freeze to all enemies within a small radius.
Healing Mechanic – You will recover a portion of the damage you deal as Health.
- Increase long range Weapon Damage by 15%.
- Increase Skill Leech by 15%.
- Increase Weapon Leech by 15%.
- Scrapnel: Type: ORDINANCE, INTERRUPT. Throw a proximity device. The explosion deals damage and Interrupts the skills of enemies caught within the blast radius. 22s CD
- Cryo Turret: Type: GADGET, TURRET. Place an automated turret that deals damage and inflicts Freeze onto enemies. The turret’s health depletes slowly over time and when it takes damage. 24s CD
- Pain Launcher: Type: ORDINANCE, INTERRUPT. Place a missile launcher and bomb the area in front of you. Each missile deals damage per hit and Interrupts enemy skills. 40s CD
- Pestilence – This is a DPS-focused class tree that will boost weapons and toxic damage.
- Tech Shaman – This is support focused and improves healing and gadget capabilities.
- Demolisher – This is the class tree that sits in the middle of the other two, it improves DPS, weapon damage and healing capabilities. However, it doesn’t do as much improvements as before.
- Good for long range and if you want to support
- Great gadgets
- Feels distinctive from the other Outrider classes
- Can be weak in the battlefield compared to other Outriders
As for me, I am going to be jumping in as a Trickster for my first playthrough. Let me know down in the comments which Outrider class you are going to choose and why.
That’s it for this guide on which class to choose in Outriders. For more Outriders content like this check out This Week In Video Games on YouTube and subscribe today.