Today I am going to be looking at a Hunter PVE build focused around Gwisin Vest. This one works in partnership with the subclass Way of the Wraith, as it can extend our super, making us deadly in PVE. This void combo is going to be paired us with some seasonal mods and weapons to maximise damage and also add a little bit of variety into your PVE game. The following is a Gwisin Vest Hunter PVE build for Destiny 2.
The main components here are going to be our exotic armour and subclass. You can pretty much mix and match the weapons to your favourites. I am trying to keep with the void theme, as it’s a void subclass, but don’t let that restrict you. I’ve thrown in Ruinous Effigy here too. Originally I had Gnawing Hunger, but to be honest that felt a little stale. Gnawing Hunger is good of course, but Ruinous Effigy felt a lot more fun, and sometimes you need a little bit of fun to mix up PVE. it also gives you that variety in attacking style as you can drain your enemies of their energy or slam them into their buddies.
Let’s check out the build in a little more detail.
Exotic Armour – Gwisin Vest
Gwisin Vest is an Exotic Hunter Chest Armor that you can get from Xur or random world drop exotic engrams. It was originally introduced in Season 4. Let’s check out the perks
- Roving Assassin – Each Spectral Blades kill you make before going into stealth will restore more of your Super energy.
- Plasteel Reinforcement Mod – Increased resilience.
I’m going to be using Gwisin Vest and will pair this up with our subclass, middle-tree Nightstalker. Gwisin Vest was built for middle-tree Nightstalker and using Roving Assassin we’re going to be able to extend our super making this much more effective in PVE.
Subclass – Way of the Wraith
The subclass we’re going to be using is Way of the Wraith, and lets check out the perks.
- Spectral Blades: A roaming Void super which grants invisibility with Truesight when cast and gives the player two void daggers which deal massive damage.
- Corrosive Smoke: Melee ability which throws a smoke bomb that explodes in a line, damaging and slowing enemies from afar.
- Flawless Execution: Scoring precision kills while crouched grants invisibility and Truesight.
- Shattering Strike: Hitting enemies with a melee attack after triggering Flawless Execution weakens then and also reduces their damage output.
Spectral Blades are going to be the main focus here, but it’s also nice to have another damaging grenade in Corrosive Smoke. Pairing up this exotic with Gwisin Vest is going to allow us to extend our super. When you heavy attack during spectral blade this is going to restore a large portion of super energy allowing you to carry on roaming around with your super. It’s a similar effect that Raiden Flux has on Arctrider Hunter supers if you’re familiar with that.
The weapons for this build are pretty mix and match. I am going to be using a combination of weapons and seasonal mods, but if you’re checking out this guide in the future I’d pair up weapons and mods that are good in that season.
Breachlight is a Legendary / Kinetic / Sidearm first introduced in Season of Dawn, but you can get this now through Umbral Engrams. Aggressive Burst – Hard-hitting two-burst fire.
Ruinous Effigy is an Exotic / Energy / Trace Rifle introduced in Season of Arrivals. This is going to make up the exotic weapon for the build and this one is one of the most fun and unique weapons in the game. Let’s check out the perks.
- Transmutation – Final blows with this weapon collapse victims into Void Transmutation spheres.
- Evolution – Transmutation spheres you create can be picked up and wielded as weapons by you or your allies. Light attack, Heavy attack, Guard/Drain nearby combatants
Through these perks, you’re going to be able to turn your enemies into void orbs, pick them up and slam them into their friends or use them for AOE damage. This is pretty versatile and powerful and goes well with this void focused build.
Finally I am using Falling Guillotine which is a Legendary / Power / Sword. For the perks on here we have:
- Vortex Frame – Launch a heavy spin attack. Heavy attacks are stronger with full energy. Attacks partially bypass elemental shields.
- Whirlwind Blade – Rapid sword strikes increase this weapon’s damage for a short duration. Guarding also ends the effect.
You can’t really ignore swords this season, and combined with the mods and also it’s void synergy then it goes well in this build.
For the mods, I am going to be using a combination of Charged with light and seasonal mods. Again, the build is mainly focused around the exotic armour and subclass, so feel free to add and remove the weapons and mods that fit you best.
- Surprise Attack – While Charged with Light, reloading or readying a Sidearm will consume all stacks of Charged with Light and convert them into stacks of a major damage buff, which are depleted as you damage combatants with that Sidearm.
- Oppressive Darkness – Causing damage with a Void grenade adds a weakening effect to combatants.
- Lucent Blade – While Charged with Light, dealing damage with a Sword gives you bonus Sword damage for 5 seconds, consuming one stack of Charged with Light.
- Ashes to Assets – Get super energy on grenade kills
Surprise attack is going to go really well with my Breachlight, giving me charged bullets which are going to cause more damage. I also have a decent outlaw/rampage roll on Breachlight, which is going to stack in damage anyways. Feel free to use any sidearm you like with Surprise Attack – although I tend to like Sidearms that are 300 rpm and above, Lonesome for me felt a little too slow.
Oppressive Darkness and Lucent Blade are such an effective combo. Throw a void grenade in there to weaken enemies and then run in with Falling Guillotine and Lucent blade for that 35% increase in damage and champions are going to simply fold and die in front of you. Having Ashes to Assets as well as Oppressive Darkness is great as you’re not only softening up enemies with Oppressive Darkness but also getting super energy, which you can use for your spectral blade attacks more often.
Now we have our build, let’s check out some game play.
- Run around getting sidearm kills using your surprise attack mod
- Turn your enemies into void orbs with Ruinous Effigy and get in some damage on their buddies with either the drain or slam moves
- Use Oppressive Darkness and Falling Guillotine to take out some yellow bar enemies or champions
- Build up super energy with Ashes to Assets
- Unleash spectral blades and get some heavy attacks in there to regenerate super energy
- Rinse and repeat
Let me know down in the comments what you think of the build. If you have any improvements let me know and share with the community.
That’s it for this Gwisin Vest Hunter PVE build in Destiny 2. For more Destiny 2 content like this check out the Shadowkeep Guide or check out the YouTube Channel.