Today I am looking at a Hunter PVE build with Orpheus Rig as well as some exotic weapons and armour to maximise damage and fun for PVE. I’ve done a few Hunter PVE builds recently, but this one has to be the best yet. I’m going to be taking a look at Orpheus Rig as the basis of the build, but the complimentary weapons and mods really make this one pack a punch in PVE. The following is an Orpheus Rig Hunter PVE build for Destiny 2.
The theme of this build is void damage, so I am going to be selecting a few tools from the toolbox to improve your PVE experience by maximising the damage output of our Hunters in combination with a few weapons and mods. Let’s have a look at the build in a little more detail.
Armour – Orpheus Rig
First up I am going to be using the exotic leg armour for the Hunter called Orpheus Rig. These are a random world drop exotic, so you can pick these up from Xur when he’s around or get them from a random world drop exotic. Let’s have a look at the perks of the armour first of all.
- Uncanny Arrows – Provides ability energy for each enemy tethered by Deadfall anchors. Moebius Quiver has more shots.
- Mobility Enhancement Mod – Increased mobility.
This exotic armour is going to pair up nicely with our subclass, which I’ll go into next.
Subclass – Way of the Trapper
For out subclass I am going to be using The Way of the Trapper this is the top ability tree for the Nightstalker subclass of Hunter class.
- Snare Bomb – Throw a Smoke Bomb from a distance with this melee ability. The Smoke Bomb sticks to surfaces and detonates when enemies are near, slowing and disorienting them.
- Keen Scout – Sprint and sneak faster, and gain an enhanced tracker. Tethered enemies are marked for easy tracking.
- Deadfall – The Void Anchors fired from Shadowshot become traps and wait for prey. Void Anchors have increased range and last longer.
- Vanishing Step – Dodging makes you vanish from sight for a short time.
Orpheus Rig and Way of the Trapper go together well because of the synnergy with Deadfall. What we’re looking to do is tether a whole bunch of enemies and we’re going to be given back a fair amount of super energy, meaning in PVE activities like the Contact Public event or Altars of Sorrow, anything with a load of smaller enemies, then we’re going to be able to trap them in our tether, kill them then get a bunch of super energy back, meaning we can do it all over again much faster.
This is going to be the tool for dealing with loads of smaller enemies but when it comes to bosses we’re going to be using a combination of mods and weapons, and I’ll get into those next.
First up I am going to be using Graviton Lance. This is an Exotic / Energy / Pulse Rifle, another random drop or you can pick it up from Xur. You can also get this one in the Red War Campaign, although that’s going away in a few months with the release of Beyond Light. Check Xur’s inventory each week and pick it up if you see it.
Let’s check out the perks on this one.
- Black Hole – Second shot of a burst rips a hole through space-time, doing high damage and recoil with no falloff.
- Cosmology – Kills with this weapon cause enemy targets to detonate and spawn Void projectiles that track targets.
Graviton Lance goes well with our Void synnergy for the build, but also its great for dishing out damage to our smaller enemies that have been trapped by our super. If you can super into a large amount of smaller enemies, then you’re going to get a lot of your super back and then pick then off with Graviton Lance. When you get kills with this weapon, it’s going to activate Cosmology meaning void projectiles go after nearby enemies – making this one really useful for picking off groups of ads from distance or mopping up anything your super didn’t take care of.
I’m pairing this with Supremacy, this is a sniper rifle from the Last Wish raid. This one isn’t going to be sunset until the end of Season 14 at least, and it’s a good 140 RPM sniper rifle. I’m going to be pairing this one up with the mod Remote Connection, so we get bonus super energy back when I get sniper kills. It’s also good to have a long range weapon, so you can take out enemies where they spawn or deal precision damage on targets.
The last weapon I am using is Falling Guillotine. This is available from the season pass in Season of Arrivals, and through Umbral Engrams. I don’t know if this one if going to be available when this season goes, so try and get it now while you can.
Where as the super and primary weapons are going to take out smaller enemies, then the mods and power weapons are going to help out with killing bosses very quickly.
I’m going to be using a combination of Lucent Blade, Opressive Darkness and Remote Connection.
- Lucent Blade – While Charged with Light, dealing damage with a Sword gives you bonus Sword damage for 5 seconds, consuming one stack of Charged with Light.
- Oppressive Darkness – Causing damage with a Void grenade adds a weakening effect to combatants.
- Remote Connection – Gain bonus super energy on Shiper Rifle Kills
Lucent Blade is a mod available in Season of Arrivals and works with Charged with Light giving you a 35% damage increase with swords, making this great for deleting bosses. Oppressive Darkness is a mod found on the Seasonal Artifact so when you throw a void grenade and do damage, then you can follow this up with some sword swipes for even more damage, making the Lucent Blade and Oppressive Darkness combo great for taking out bosses at the end of seasonal events.
Now we have our build in place, lets have a look at some gameplay.
- Take out some enemies with Graviton Lance
- Start to build up some super energy with sniper kills
- Unleash your super on a bunch of enemies and take them down
- Throw grenades to activate oppressive darkness
- Run in there with your sword to finish off the boss with massive damage from Lucent Blade.
This is definitely the most fun I have had in PVE for some time, running around causing massive damage. You have everything here in your arsenal – add control, short-range with the sword, long-range with the sniper, the ability to take care of big groups of enemies and also boss damage too. Try this one out and let me know what you think down in the comments.